Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I read

a wonderful book, so kind, but at the same time written in such an easy way. easy to read, makes a lot of sense. it shows us how to teach children HOW to think, not WHAT to think. It is very respectful to children. Treats, punishment, reward and bribes do not work. Things to use with kids are feedback, encouragement, discipline (meaning teaching).

Messages to give children because they are worth it:
* I believe in you. I trust you. I know you can handle situations. You are listened to. You are care for. You are very important to me.
* You can’t really make kids do something they don’t want to. But, you can give them choices, decisions to make, and the room to make mistakes and learn from them.

The Golden Rule:
* I will not treat a child in a way I myself would not want to be treated. If it works, and leaves a child’s and my own dignity intact, do it.


What doesn’t work:
* Threats. Punishment, Bribes, Rewards.
* Teach them how to think, not what to think. With that, they can figure out new situations when a parent won’t be around to tell them what to do.

Oh, how much do I agree! And recommend! Love this book! It just does much deeper into attachment parenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...